Wednesday, July 17, 2013

They're Not Like Store Soaps


So many people are used to the commercial soaps in the stores that natural soaps can be a bit of a change for them.  It's like people being used to Wonder Bread trying to switch to a loaf of homemade sourdough.  It's different.  Very different.

What's so different about my natural soaps from commercial soaps?

1.  It is harder to scent natural soaps and keep them natural.  I use natural, oil-based fragrances, herbs and essential oils to scent my soaps.  But you can't use too much or else it can be irritating to the skin.  Unlike heavily, chemically fragranced commercial soaps, the scent doesn't really stay on the body, either.  But, as a friend of mine's soap-making grandmother used to say, "soap is supposed to take stink off your body, not put it on!"

2.  Natural soaps aren't as hard.  It's the chemicals in the commercial soaps that harden them, and cheapen them, and make them last longer.  It's also the chemicals that strip our skin of all the goodness it needs to be healthy.

3.  Natural soaps leave a different feel to the skin.  I don't know about you, but I grew up in the era of oil is BAD for skin, especially oily and acne-ridden skin.  I was told the only way to get rid of my acne and oil was to avoid oil, to strip my skin and cover it in caustic chemicals to dry everything out.  I just ended up with dry, peeling, acne-ridden skin that turned into an oil slick on top of the dry, peeling skin.  Commercial soaps strip the skin and leave nothing but chemical warfare behind.  Natural soaps cleanse the skin and leave nourishing nutrients behind through the oils used in the saponification process.  You can feel the difference.

4.  Natural soaps cost more.  Yeah, unfortunately, they do.  But like the Wonder Bread/Homemade Sour Dough bread example, it really is apples and oranges.  The highly nourishing ingredients I use in my soaps don't come cheap.  Organic coconut oil is the largest expense, but the most vital ingredient, I think.  Organic coconut oil is not only extremely skin-nourishing, but it helps create hardness and rich lather to a soap.  Are you paying for commercial chemicals, or God-created nourishment?

I am considering a line of less expensive natural soaps for the budget concious, but it is hard to compromise on what fats I could use and still get a natural, nourishing soap.

So, yes, natural soaps are not like store soaps.  Like a loaf of fresh, homemade bread out of the oven, they are better!

No comments:

Post a Comment